A HUNDRED and two people from 33 households in Baling were evacuated to two temporary relief centres after their homes were inundated by flash floods following heavy rain last night.
Kedah Civil Defence Force disaster management secretariat head Muhammad Suhaimi Mohd Zain said the two relief centres were in Masjid Islahiyah Tawar and Masjid Binjul Luar.
“The relief centre at the Masjid Islahiyah Tawar was opened at 11pm to house 91 of the people from 31 households, while the centre at Masjid Binjul Luar was opened at midnight last night to house 11 other people from two households,” he said in a statement today.
He said the downpour, which began in yesterday afternoon, had caused Sungai Ketil to overflow and flood Kampung Padang Empang and Kampung Iboi.
He said the river water level in Kampung Kuala Pegang had passed the danger level of 36.19m at 8pm last night.
“All the flood victims are safe and the flood situation is being monitored by the agencies. No casualties have been reported so far.” – Bernama, September 22, 2023.