IT is not CR7, but IS7 – Prime Minister Ismail Sabri Yaakob’s seven offers of reform.
Dubbed the parliamentary and government administration transformation offer, Ismail late yesterday announced seven offers of reform, to:
- table an anti-party hopping law in Parliament;
- amend the Federal Constitution to implement Undi18 to lower the voting age to 18;
- amend the Federal Constitution to limit the prime minister’s term in office to 10 years;
- ensure equal representation in parliamentary select committees by including backbenchers and opposition law makers;
- ensure all bills tabled in Parliament, including the upcoming budget, will be negotiated and mutually agreed with the opposition;
- ensure opposition politicians will be involved in the national recovery council to provide input and suggestions for improvement; and
- give the opposition leader a salary and amenities equivalent to a minister.
If you are a Manchester United fan, the number seven is special. The No 7 shirt was worn by the club icons like George Best, Bryan Robson, Eric Cantona and David Beckham. Now, it will return to the man who succeeded Beckham, Cristiano Ronaldo (CR7).
It is said that seven is the number of completeness and perfection (both physical and spiritual). It derives much of its meaning from being tied directly to God’s creation of all things.
Could it be that for the above reason or reasons, Ismail stopped at seven offers?
Yet it could be eight, which is no less auspicious. It is said that the number eight is a symbol of balance – you can see it in its symmetrical shape.
For every blessing it receives, it puts one back out to the universe. When things are balanced, they feel stable, controlled, and supported, which is the most productive environment for the eight to work.
In Chinese culture, the number eight is considered the luckiest number of all, and represents an ultimate form of achievement for which many will spend their entire lives striving.
The eighth offer could be to table the parliamentary service bill, which should have been ready for tabling in Parliament.
So yes, it should be IS8 – Ismail’s eight offers of reform. – September 11, 2021.
* Hafiz Hassan reads The Malaysian Insight.